Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tebow, Homeschool, and Pierce v. Society of Sister

After reading a friends blog on homeschooling I was reminded of an article I read some time back. It covers the plight of the homeschooler trying to participate in public school athletics. I see both sides of this issue. If you pay your taxes you should be able to get some benefit from it. On the other hand, you have opted out of the main part of school which is the education part. I don't view school as a cafeteria plan where you can choose what you want to participate in and what you don't.

What do you think? Should homescoolers be allowed to participate in certain public school activities (sports, art, PE, lunch, etc) or is it an all in or all out proposition?

For me the jury is still out on this one. I am leaning towards one direction.

CT

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm pretty sure that kids who are home schooled and need special services (ie. gifted, speech, special ed, OT, etc.) are eligible to receive them from the public school based upon district residency (where they pay their taxes).

I don't see that sports would be much different. I like what the commenter said about how he was determined eligible for play (which is the same for public school kids, as far as I know):

"I was required to turn in grades to the Athletic Director and had to take a state standardized test every year to make sure I was on track with the kids my age who were in public school." Makes sense.

As far as choosing to attend related arts and not core classes, I think that's where it could get sticky for schools. They're paying for it, so I guess they have as much right as anyone.

Unknown said...

BTW, always ready to stir the pot, aren't you?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
CT said...

I think that you have the right to do it based on the fact that you are paying for it. However if you are wanting your child participate in public schools piecemeal, you should reconsider why you are homeschooling.
Can you? Yes
Should you? Maybe