Monday, February 15, 2010

Rob Bell "Drops Like Stars"

My Christmas shopping list this year included a book for my brother by Rob Bell. As someone who views Bell as somewhere between Vince Offer and the Antichrist, this was a tough decision for me to make. As it was the only thing given to me on the list I decided to get it. As I looked over the book at CPO I made a few observations.
1) This book looks huge from a distance. It is like 2'6"X 2". Upon closer look it is only about 1/2" thick including the hard bound cover. It is about like a large children's book.
2) Upon opening the book for further investigation I discovered that there is very little substance. The size comparison to a child's book is a direct comparison to the amount of actual print in the book. It is a series of large photos and 1-2 sentences on the adjacent page for the most part.
3) The price of the book was to high for the amount of content. With a tag of $36.99 it was best to be left on the shelf.
4) The artwork on the cover was great.

My experience with this book sums up my opinion of Bell. If you are looking for something that looks good from a distance but has little substance and will cause you to pay too high a price, then Rob Bell's version of Christianity is just for you.

CT

1 comment:

ryan said...

Ha! ...between Vince Offer and the Antichrist... Love it!